Frequently Asked Questions

  1. When is the deadline to accept/reject my admissions decision, and how do I do that?

    When you receive your official admission decision notification from The Graduate School, it contains a link for you to click and to oficially declare your intent to enroll at the University of Maryland. The deadline to accept or reject your admissions decision is April 15.

  2. I just received an email saying I’ve been admitted on a provisional basis, what does that mean? What do I need to do?

    If your acceptance letter indicates that you've been admitted on a provisional basis, it means that you have not yet submitted your final official academic transcript and/or degree certificate. Students admitted on a provisional basis will not be permitted to register for Spring (their second academic semester) courses until the missing documents are provided to the University. 

  3. When do I have to submit my official transcripts? Do I have to mail them or can I send them electronically?

    You can submit your transcript to the Graduate School via mail or in-person when you reach the campus in August. If you are submitting your transcripts via mail, all transcripts must be sent to the following address:

    University of Maryland College Park
    Enrollment Services Operation -- Attention: Graduate Admissions
    Room 0130 Mitchell Building
    College Park, MD  20742

  4. Should I pay a deposit to hold my admission before the confirmation deadline?

    At this time, no deposit is required to hold your place in admission.

  5. Once I decide to accept admission, what tuition and fees will I be expected to pay?

    Please visit our page regarding tuition and fees. Please keep in mind that the fees listed on the page reflect the most current tuition and fees of the university, which are subject to change. Your tuition bill will become available a few weeks after you register for your first semester courses. Information about the registration process will be communicated later.

  6. Could you please tell me which campus I am admitted to, do I have a choice?

    The Masters of Information Management (MIM) program at the University of Maryland is offered on our main campus in College Park, with courses additionally being offered through our Campus at Shady GrovePlease note: campus declaration won’t restrict you from taking courses in another iSchool location (campus). Tuition and fees differ based on the campus.

  7. Can you explain specializations to me? If I didn't choose a specialization when I applied, how much time do I have to select one? If I did choose a specialization, can I change it? If I don't want to change it, is anything required of me?

    Students are asked to declare a specialization when applying to the program, but it is not required. Students are required to have an officially declared specialization by the end of their second academic semester in the program (for international students) or by the end of their 15-18 credits in the program (for domestic/part-time students). This timeline ensures that the students have sufficient time to cover the selected specialization courses in the program. 

  8. How can I find out if I’m eligible for scholarships or graduate assistantships?

    The iSchool has its own in-house Fall and Spring scholarships and awards, and we will notify all eligible students about those as they become available (the email will be sent through the iSchoolannouncements listserv to which all admitted students are subscribed automatically). The announcement will have the scholarship description and the aprlication process deails. 
    Additionally, visit the
    Office of Student Financial Aid website for more information on obtaining scholarships, grants, and other means of financial aid. 
    Students may apply for graduate assistantships throughout the university. Listings are posted
    here, and are posted frequently, so check back often for updated listings. The graduate assistantship benefits are available to students even if their assistantship is in a department outside of the iSchool. 

  9. Will I receive email updates of upcoming deadlines and things to do prior to the first semester?

    Yes. Once you accept your admission, we will periodically send out information to all of our incoming students regarding registration, orientation, and important updates. We will do our best to be thorough in our delivery of information without overwhelming your email inbox!

  10. I'm an international student, and I have questions about financial aid, visas, and immunizations. How do I get information about that?

    Transitioning to graduate school can be a difficult thing, and transitioning to a new country can sometimes feel overwhelming. The Office of International Student Services (ISSS) has a dedicated team who is equipped to help our internetional students transition to life in the United States as well as life on the University of Maryland campus. They have a great amount of information about visas and immunizations as well as the financial aid opportunities for international students

  11. Do I need programming experience to apply to the MIM program? 
    The MIM program accepts students from a very wide range of academic majors and backgrounds, and some come in with no programming experience at all (e.g. business, politics, biology backgrounds). We feel strongly that students of all kinds of academic background and experience levels have valuable knowledge to bring to the conversation about MIM, and we are committed to developing an intellectually diverse cohort of students in our program.
    Students who come in with little or no programming experience are required to take an introductory programming class in their first semester in the program in order to establish their skillset. Students who come into the program with a strong computer science/technology background may apply to waive this introductory programming class requirement once they have been admitted. All students, regardless of previous experience, will develop their necessary information management skills through class projects, internships, and their final capstone or thesis projects.

  12. Do you prefer that applicants have work experience before applying?
    We don't have a preference regarding work experience. Some of our master’s students have recently obtained their undergraduate degrees, while others come after working in their field for several years. However, having professional experience will help you in comprehending the theory presented in class.

  13. I submitted my standardized test scores, but my application is still marked incomplete. What happened and do I need to submit my scores again?
    Because standardized test scores are manually processed by the University, it can sometimes take a few days for the scores to be marked as received on the application. If it has been several days since your scores were sent but your application is still marked as "incomplete", you can contact either the MIM program coordinator or the iSchool Student Services Office and we will check the status of your scores.

  14. What immunizations do I need? 
    Please review the immunization form for a listing of the immunizations. You will need to submit the immunization form to the university health center during your international student orientation. You can find more information about this requirement at: lergimmuntravel/immunizations.(link is external)

    For additional inquiries regarding the immunization form, please contact the Student Health Center at sends e-mail).


  15. I have questions that weren't listed here. How can I have them answered?

    Send us an email at and we'll answer them as soon as we can!