- Learn about field from the inside
- Decide if this is right career
- Learn new skills and add to knowledge base
- Practice communication and teamwork skills
- Meet new people and practice networking skills
- Establish a network of professional contacts, mentors, and references
- Gain valuable experience and accomplishments for resume
- Potential full time job oppurtunity
MIM Internship Course
There are 2 courses offered by the iSchool MIM program that can be taken in conjunction with an internship.
INFM 735 MIM Internship course (3 credits):
- Provides students with knowledge, skills, and experiences that will help shape career goals
- Offered online during summer semesters.
- May be counted towards an elective courses.
Note: Students are required to complete the MIM core classes (INFM 600, INFM 603, INFM 605, and INFM 612) prior to enrolling in INFM 735.
Univ099 - Zero (0) hour UMD Internship seminar course - Host company must agree to UMD requirements
- Activities plannes for summer must be signed by company
- Confirmation of completion of activities must be signed by comapny
Additional Information for International Students
According to the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations, prior to starting their internship, international students must obtain work authorization known as Curricular Practical Training (CPT), which is available from UMD International Student and Scholar Services office (ISSS)
3109 Susquehanna Hall,
University of Maryland,
College Park, MD 20742.
More information on how CPT works and application process could be found on the ISSS website.
MIM students often complete their internships in organizations located in and around the Washington, DC metro area, such as:
Bank of America Time Warner Cable National Foreign Language Center
Titan Telecom Link Media, LLC Paradyme Management
Wal-Mart E-commerce Labs Goldman Sachs Columbia University
DreamBig Studios LLC American International Group, Inc. Atlac Copco
Ernst and Young DSFederal Institute for System Research
Avaya REI Systems Maryland Population Research Center
Freescale Semiconductor BAIDU Cloud, Inc.
The MIM program has yet to have a single case where a student has not been able to find an internship. We have many resources available to students, including:
2. MIM Central
3. MLIS Field Study Database (includes organizations interested in working with MIM students with more technical skills)